The different types of innovation activities that transform opportunities into actual innovations, and their links to stakeholders (e.g. customers), environment, innovation strategy and business objectives.
The explicit activities, milestones, and decision points that support and that adhere to best practices for each type of initiative
- Innovation activities and tools are clearly defined and adaptively executed according to the initiative type and purpose, as well as the specific stage.
- Approach is tailored to support variances and iterations associated with different types of initiatives while also providing flexibility to handle exceptions.
- Best practices are in place to enable de-risking stages that include understanding the customer criteria, designing solution concepts, validating their business viability, achieving initial business traction, and scaling-up business capabilities and infrastructure to achieve the intended business impact .
Innovation Pipeline Management
The management and governance mechanisms for the different types of initiatives in order to monitor performance and to make resource allocation decisions
- Evaluation/prioritization guidelines and boundaries are clearly defined for each innovation initiative type and stage.
- Dedicated resources for innovation initiatives and well-understood mechanisms to access these resources are in place.
- Innovation pipeline is actively tracked, assessed, and managed so that the most appropriate mix and balance of initiatives is maintained.
Support Processes & Tools
The different business processes which might be necessary to support the innovation processes and teams
- Business processes such as administrative, capital, workforce, acquisition and legal management are efficiently accessible from internal or external sources to support the innovation activities .
- Visual management spaces for physical and virtual meetings are well equipped and conveniently accessible.